The European Patent Office
With almost 7 000 employees, the European Patent Office (EPO) is one of the largest public service institutions in Europe. Its headquarters are in Munich and it also has offices in Berlin, Brussels, The Hague and Vienna. The EPO was founded with the aim of strengthening co-operation on patents in Europe. Through the EPO's centralised patent granting procedure, inventors are able to obtain high-quality patent protection in up to 44 countries, covering a market of some 700 million people.
The EPO is also the world's leading authority in patent information and patent searching.The EPO received over 165 000 patent applications and granted over 105 000 patents, in 2017. Its free online patent database, Espacenet, contains more than 100 million technical documents from 100 countries, and its free neural machine translation service, Patent Translate, provides instant, high-quality translation in 32 languages, including Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Russian.
Our patent examiners are drawn from over 30 different European countries. They work at the cutting edge of technology, analysing the latest inventions in all kinds of technical fields in order to protect andpromote innovation in Europe. Their daily work combines scientific expertise with analytical research and an eye for the legal aspects of intellectual property.
Are you an engineer or a scientist interested in joining an international team of highly qualified staff? Do you want to see the latest inventions?
Then this professional opportunity is the right one for you!
We are currently seeking engineers and scientists in various technical fields to work as European Patent Examiners in Munich and The Hague.
What we offer
- the opportunity to acquaint yourself with the latest inventions and to enable innovation
- intellectual challenges and empowerment through professional development
- the chance to work with inspiring people from various different cultures
- a competitive salary and an excellent social package. The net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy ranges from EUR 5 500 to 7 800, depending on experience. In addition, depending on their personal circumstances, EPO staff may be entitled to relocation benefits and various allowances (e.g. household, dependant's, childcare, education, expatriation, installation and rent allowance).
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in engineering, physics, chemistry or natural sciences.
- Good working knowledge of at least two of our official languages (English, French and German) and the willingness to learn the third.
- Work experience in industry would be advantageous.
- Citizenship of one of the 38 member states of the European Patent Organisation.
For more information about the technical fields in which we currently have vacancies, please apply online.
Apply now for our selection events
Our next selection events will take place in The Hague from 15 to 19 October and in Munich from 22 to 26 October.
The deadline for applications is 16 July 2018.
Salary: net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy: EUR 5 500 to 7 800, depending on experience
Duration of appointment: 5 years
Career path: technical
Location: Munich and The Hague
Application deadline: 16.07.2018
The EPO is an equal opportunities employer and supports workforce diversity as a signatory to the Diversity Charter (Charta der Vielfalt) since 2010.
All applications for vacant positions will be welcomed and considered on the professional merits of the applicant against the role profile for the position regardless of nationality, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion or belief.
* after deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes. The salary range depends on experience.