On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer
Vitrociset Belgium is an international company which specializes in the space industry for over 30 years.
The European Space Agency is our biggest client and we provide highly qualified employees to many sites of ESA mainly in the Netherlands, Germany, Spain, France, and the UK.
Your career is very important to us, therefore, we provide a permanent contract with great benefits, good salary, relocation package and genuine support to our employees.
On behalf of the European Space Agency, we are looking for a highly skilled On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer to work in ESTEC, in the Netherlands.
The On-Board Computer & Data Handling Section provides functional support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) on turn-key on-board HW Data Handling solutions for platform and payloads (on-board computers, mass memories, remote terminals, etc.).
The post holder assignment concerns support to the Galileo 2nd Generation satellite Project (G2B satellite), Galileo Programme Department, Directorate of Navigation as an On-Board Computer and Data Handling Systems Engineer.
- Reporting directly to the G2B Satellite Platform Manager, the post holder is responsible for the definition, implementation and procurement of the G2B spacecraft Avionics sub-systems including the data handling subsystem (DHS), Attitude and Orbit Control Systems (AOCS) and Electrical Propulsion Sub-system (EPS).
- In particular the post holder, within the programme guidelines and constraints as defined by the G2B Satellite Platform Manager, shall:
- provide expert technical support and consultancy to the Galileo projects regarding on-board Computer and Data-Handling systems throughout all project phases;
- lead and coordinate specialized engineering support provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management and Operation for:
- monitoring the industrial work associated with design, development, validation, qualification and acceptance of the Avionics sub-systems (DHS, AOCS, EPS) and associated equipment ensuring that these meet the satellite and security requirements with the support of specialized AOCS and EPS engineers provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management
- monitoring the industrial activities related to the definition and execution of the satellite verification programme in the areas of responsibility, including implementation and monitoring of AIT/AIV activities on Avionics sub-systems and equipment with the specialized AOCS and EPS engineers provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management
- contributing to the control and management of the satellite budgets in the areas of responsibility with the support of specialized AOCS and EPS engineers provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management
- ensuring timely delivery of the Deliverable Items (to allow preparation of in-orbit operations) in the domain of his responsibility as foreseen by industrial activities included in the SoW
- elaborating in the area of expertise the dispositions related to anomaly-handling, NRBs, NCR process, RFD/W, etc.;
- participating in Agency project reviews and lower-level reviews in the relevant field of competence (DHS, AOCS, EPS);
- preparing the inputs in the area of expertise for the Satellite Verification Control Board and Space Segment Control Boards’ processes;
- Regular and ad hoc reporting to the Satellite Platform Manager on all aspects of Avionics Sub-Systems and equipment development, proactive monitoring of relevant schedules, identifying risk and problem areas, proposing mitigation actions.
In performing these duties, the post holder shall ensure:
- close cooperation with ESA Security engineer and the other G2B team engineers
- close coordination with other G2B functions (PA, Security, Operations) as appropriate to maximise efficiency in executing the project.
Finally, the post holder will participate in periodic meetings with the parent On-Board Computer & Data Handling section, contributing to the transfer of technical knowledge and lessons learned (within the perimeter defined between the project and the parent section) across the Agency.
- Due to the eligibility of Galileo Security Clearance requirement, only EU citizens will be considered for this position.
- Master’s degree in networks, electronics, telecommunications or a related field is required.
- Applicants should have at least 10 years of professional experience in the fields of space hardware related to platform and payload data handling equipment (units, modules and boards), and some experience in the AOCS and EPS.
- Knowledge in the field of Avionics Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE) will be considered as an asset.
Please note that interviews can/will be held via skype, webex or other digital platforms. The TUD will be agreed taking into account how the coranavirus situation develops.