On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer
Position Reference: 936
On behalf of ESA, we are currently looking for an On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer to work in its Site (ESTEC) in the city of Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
The key person will join the On-Board Computer & Data Handling Section, which provides functional support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) on turn-key on-board HW Data Handling solutions for platform and payload data handling architectures and units (on-board computers, mass memories, remote terminals, etc.).
Tasks and Activities
The scope of work will include:
• Provide expert technical support and consultancy to the Galileo projects regarding on-board Computer and Data-Handling systems throughout all project phases.
• Lead and coordinate specialized engineering support provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management and Operation for:
Monitoring the industrial work associated with design, development, validation, qualification and acceptance of the Avionics sub-systems (DHS, AOCS, EPS) and associated equipment ensuring that these meet the satellite and security requirements with the support of specialized AOCS and EPS engineers provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management.
Monitoring the industrial activities related to the definition and execution of the satellite verification programme in the areas of responsibility, including implementation and monitoring of AIT/AIV activities on Avionics sub-systems and equipment with the specialized AOCS and EPS engineers provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management.
Contributing to the control and management of the satellite budgets in the areas of responsibility with the support of specialized AOCS and EPS engineers provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management.
Ensuring timely delivery of the Deliverable Items (to allow preparation of in-orbit operations) in the domain of responsibility.
Elaborating in the area of expertise the dispositions related to anomaly-handling, NRBs, NCR process, RFD/W, etc.
Participating in Agency project reviews and lower-level reviews in the relevant field of competence (DHS, AOCS, EPS).
Preparing the inputs in the area of expertise for the Satellite Verification Control Board and Space Segment Control Boards’ processes.
• Regular and ad hoc reporting to the Satellite Platform Manager on all aspects of on-board Computer and Data-Handling sub-system and equipment development, proactive monitoring of relevant schedules, identifying risk and problem areas, proposing mitigation actions.
• Participate in periodic meetings with the parent On-Board Computer & Data Handling section, contributing to the transfer of technical knowledge and lessons learned (within the limits of mandated project confidentiality) across the Agency.
Skills and Experience
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
• Master’s degree in networks, electronics, telecommunications or a related field, with at least 4 years of relevant working experience.
• At least 10 years of professional experience in the fields of space hardware related to platform and payload data handling equipment (units, modules and boards), along with some experience in the AOCS and EPS.
• Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
The following skills would be highly desirable:
• Knowledge in the fields of Data Handling Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE) and in the field of multi-core on-board computer architectures.
How to Apply
Looking to take your career to the next level? Interested applicants should submit their CV and Cover Letter to RHEA’s Recruitment team at email@example.com no later than 02/07/2021.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible for an EU or national personal security clearance at the level of CONFIDENTIAL or above.