On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer
Vitrociset Belgium is an international company which specializes in the space industry for over 30 years.
The European Space Agency is our biggest client and we provide highly qualified employees to many sites of ESA mainly in the Netherlands, Germany, Spain, France, and the UK.
Your career is very important to us, therefore, we provide a permanent contract with great benefits, good salary, relocation package and genuine support to our employees.
On behalf of the European Space Agency, we are looking for a highly skilled On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer to work in ESTEC, in the Netherlands.
The On-Board Computer & Data Handling Section provides functional support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) on turn-key on-board HW Data Handling solutions for platform and payload data handling architectures and units (on-board computers, mass memories, remote terminals, etc.).
- The post holder assignment concerns support to the Galileo 2nd Generation satellite Project (G2A satellite), Galileo Programme Department, Directorate of Navigation as an On-Board Computer and Data Handling Systems Engineer. ESA starts the procurement of the first batch of the Galileo Second Generation (G2) satellites, which will provide all the services and capabilities of the current first generation, together with a substantial number of improvements as well as new services and capabilities.
- Reporting directly to the G2A Satellite Platform Manager, the post holder is technical responsible for the design and procurement of the G2A spacecraft data handling subsystem (DHS).
In particular the post holder, within the programme guidelines and constraints as defined by the G2A Satellite Platform Manager, shall:
- provide expert technical support and consultancy to the Galileo projects regarding on-board Computer and Data-Handling systems throughout all project phases;
- lead and coordinate specialized engineering support provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management and Operation for:
- participating in feasibility studies, project reviews and the evaluation of procurement proposals within the DHS perimeter; identifying critical DHS development problems and assisting in their resolution;
- monitoring the industrial work associated with design, development, validation, qualification and acceptance of the on-board Computer and Data-Handling systems and associated equipment ensuring that these meet the satellite and security requirements;
- monitoring the industrial activities related to the definition and execution of the satellite verification programme in the areas of responsibility, including implementation and monitoring of AIT/AIV activities on Data Handling sub-systems and equipment.
- ensuring timely delivery of the Deliverable Items (to allow preparation of in-orbit operations) in the domain of responsibility as foreseen by industrial activities included in the SoW;
- elaborating in the area of expertise the dispositions related to anomaly-handling, NRBs, NCR process, RFD/W, etc.;
- participating in Agency project reviews and lower-level reviews in the relevant field of competence (DHS);
- preparing the inputs in the area of expertise for the Satellite Verification Control Board and Space Segment Control Boards’ processes;
- Regular and ad hoc reporting to the Satellite Platform Manager on all aspects of on-board Computer and Data-Handling sub-system and equipment development, proactive monitoring of relevant schedules, identifying risk and problem areas, proposing mitigation actions.
In performing these duties, the post holder shall ensure:
- close cooperation with G2A Sat Security engineer and the other G2A team engineers
- close coordination with other G2A functions (PA, Operations) as appropriate to maximise efficiency in executing the project.
Finally, the post holder will participate in periodic meetings with the parent On-Board Computer & Data Handling section, contributing to the transfer of technical knowledge and lessons learned (within the limits of mandated project confidentiality) across the Agency.
- Due to the eligibility of Galileo Security Clearance requirement, only EU citizens will be considered for this position.
- Master’s degree in networks, electronics, telecommunications or a related field is required.
- Applicants should have at least 10 years of professional experience in the fields of space hardware related to platform and payload data handling equipment (units, modules and boards).
- Knowledge in the fields of Data Handling Electrical Ground Support
- Equipment (EGSE) and in the field of multi-core on-board computer architectures will be considered as assets.
Please note that interviews can/will be held via skype, webex or other digital platforms. The TUD will be agreed taking into account how the coranavirus situation develops.